If you are planning to wax your pubic hair, you should not take a shower prior to doing so. This is because showering will cause your pubic hair to become soft as it will absorb any water. Of course, when this happens you will find that your pubic hair will be less likely to adhere properly to the wax. You will find that dry hair will also make the wax easier to pull off. However, you are still going to want to make sure that there are not any lotions or oils on your skin as these will prevent the wax from adhering close to your skin.
Steps To Properly Waxing Your Pubic Hair
If you are just beginning to wax your pubic hair, then you will want to make sure that you test a small area of your skin before doing the whole area. In this area, you will be able to make sure that you are not allergic to this type of hair removal. You will also want to make sure that your pubic hair is at least 1/8 of an inch long. Otherwise, you will want to wait until it reaches this length.
Once you make sure that the conditions are right for you to wax your pubic hair, you will want to prepare the wax. In order to do so, make sure that you heat the wax carefully because you do not want it to overheat as it would then burn your skin. The wax will be ready once its consistency is soft, not runny. When this happens, you will want to test it on a small area of skin first so that you can be sure that it is not so hot that it is going to burn you.
Whenever you are applying the wax you will only want to use a thin layer. Make sure that you apply it in the direction that your hair grows. Once the wax dries on your skin you will want to peel it back with a quick movement of pulling back, not up or out. If you are afraid of this being painful, you can purchase a pain reducing gel or cream from your local pharmacist. You should apply this cream to your pubic region 30 to 60 minutes before you plan to wax the area so that your skin will be numbed before you wax your pubic hair.
After you have waxed your pubic hair, you will want to clean this part of your skin with a warm moist towel so that you are sure that all excess wax is removed. You will want to avoid wearing tight clothes in this area right after you have waxed it so that you can minimize the risk of irritation and ingrown hairs. Then 24 hours after you have waxed your pubic hair, you will want to exfoliate the skin with a Loofah sponge. This will prevent any dead skin from accumulating in this area, which will cause your hair to become ingrown.
Positions For Waxing Pubic Hair
There are several different positions that you can be in when you are waxing your pubic hair. The idea behind these positions is to keep your knees bent and your legs wide apart so that your pubic area is easy to work on. Of course, you can also use a mirror to help you here. These positions include:
- You can sit on a chair with your legs spread apart and your feet up above your waist.
- You can sit in a position that will allow one of your legs to be propped up above your waist while your other leg rests on the floor.
- You can lie down on your back with your legs being spread wide apart and raised in the air so that the skin in your pubic area is spread taut.
- You can lie on your side with your bottom leg straight out in front of you and then bend your top leg at your knee and tuck it behind your straight leg.
What To Do Before A Bikini Wax
- Length Of Pubic Hairs: Your bikini hair needs to be of proper length for the best results. Make sure they are between ¼ inch to ½ inch long. Simply put, anything less than a ¼ inch is considered too short, so it will be difficult for the wax to get a good grip on it, thus not fetching good results, making the waxing process useless. On the other hand, if your pubic hairs are longer than ½ inch, the wax will grab too much of your hair and make the process very painful. A simple solution would be to grow out your hair for a week or two if your hairs are too small or in case of long hair, you would probably want to trim it down to the ideal length using an electric razor or a trimmer.
- Clean & Exfoliate The Area: Cleaning the bikini area, prior to waxing pubic hairs, greatly reduces the risk of infection. Get into the shower, preferably with warm water and thoroughly clean the area. It is also recommended that you apply a mild cleanser and follow it up with a gentle exfoliating scrub. Do so in simple circular motions to get the best effect. Rinse it off with warm water so that your pores open up. Thereafter pat it dry with a towel. This process will help get rid of all the dead skin cells, thus exposing the hair even better, which will be easy to grip when waxing.
- Anti Inflammatory Medicine (Optional): Waxing can be a very painful process. Especially if it’s your first time. To help ease with the pain, you can take a dose of over the counter anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin or ibuprofen. This will help you bear the pain. Take a dose of your anti-inflammatory medicine at least 20 minutes before your waxing schedule, so as to get the maximum effect. If the pain persists after 3-4 hrs post waxing, then you can take one more medicine to ease the pain.
What To Do After A Bikini Wax
- Applying Aloe Vera Gel/Coconut Oil: After you are done with waxing your bikini line, you need to remove any wax residue. Once that is done, you will need to gently apply aloe vera gel or coconut oil to the waxed area. This will help soothe the irritated skin and reduce the inflammation to some degree. Please note, that it is completely normal for the area to get sore and a bit red for a few hours post waxing.
- Treating Redness or Swelling: As mentioned before, redness and swelling is completely normal post-waxing your pubic hairs. However, if it continues for more than normal time or if you find it difficult to control the itch, then you might want to apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream. A small dab should treat the inflamed area, repress the itchiness and treat the redness. Cortisone cream that has 1% cortisone is usually considered the best.
- Avoid Sunlight & Beach For 24hrs: If you have any beach or pool party planned, it’s best recommended to do the waxing a day prior to such a party. The sunlight can greatly impact your irritated skin and can worsen the irritation. On the other hand, salt in the seawater or chlorine in the pool water can be very stingy to your waxed area. So give your skin some time to calm down first. Also, a recently waxed skin easily succumbs to sunburn so smear a good amount of sunscreen lotion before hitting the beach.
- Exfoliate To Avoid Ingrown Pubic Hairs: It is not recommended to exfoliate the area, right after the waxing, since the skin is irritable and sensitive at that point. However, once the tenderness comes down to a lower normal level, we recommend that you gently exfoliate the area while in the shower. It is preferred to scrub gently in circular motions and then completely and carefully rinse the whole area. By doing so, you will get rid of the dead skin and also prevent ingrown hairs problem.
- Make A Routine: It is advisable that you come up with a waxing routine and stick with it. Somewhere on the lines of getting the area waxed between 3 to 4 weeks. If you go longer than that, then your hair will become long and it will be very painful to get rid of those pubic hairs with waxing. Moreover, waxing regularly with this routine will increase your body’s pain threshold, making it easier to get waxed.
- Avoid Waxing During Periods: Try to schedule the routine a couple of weeks after your menstrual cycle. During this phase, your skin is too sensitive as prostaglandin levels at their highest right before your periods and waxing your pubic hairs at this time can be intolerable. So set your waxing routine as per your menstrual cycle, to give your body a chance to tolerate the pain.
How Much Does A Bikini Wax Cost
A Brazilian or bikini wax cost can be based on various factors. A simple salon in your neighborhood might charge a mere $15 and upwards for the bikini wax whereas a salon in a high-end locality may charge $100 and upwards for the same hair removal treatment. It is to be noted, however, that the pricing of the bikini wax does not reflect on the final result of your waxing. Both kinds of salons may give you the same results. The cost factor goes high merely for the factors like the ingredients they use, the locality and services they provide, the clientele they are trying to attract and the luxurious experience and amenities that they might provide. But as far as results are concerned, a local salon offering bikini wax for $15 and upwards may provide the same or better results than the high-end salon. Luxurious salons cannot offer the Brazilian wax with any less pain than a local salon. So go with your budget and experience. Focus on hygiene and cleanliness when you look for your perfect estheticians.
How Long Does A Bikini Wax Last
Each and every individual has a different rate of hair re-growth. So, asking how long does a bikini wax last, really differs from person to person. Usually, very light and minimal hairs grow back in the first week or two. They are hardly noticeable. However, during the third week, hair visibility increases. If this is your first time waxing pubic hairs, then your bikini wax might last for up to 6 weeks.
There are other factors that need to be taken into consideration as well. For example, heat stimulates the growth of your hair. So you tend to grow hair faster in summers than winters.
Also, as and when you start waxing on a regular basis, your hair starts to grow less. With regular bikini waxing, your intervals between waxing treatments will increase as you will notice less and less hair re-growth in the same area.
Please Note: This article is here for general information and should not be taken as medical advice. It is advised that you consult your doctor/dermatologist or seek professional help in such cases. Thank you!